PTC Velocity Redesign


PTC Velocity is a Sales Enablement Platform, powered by SAVO Group. The goal of this project was to revamp the web UI and navigation that result in better user experience.

My Role

User Research • Prototyping • UI Design • UI Development


Though its purpose is to enable better sales process, PTC Velocity’s bad UI and poor content organization were not tailored to fit the needs of our daily users, the sales reps and partners reps.  

We knew the website refresh needed to start from home. The old homepage did not serve much of its purpose. Randomly placed announcement banners and unclear buttons on top made the homepage to look confusing.


With the this project, we wanted to accomplish following goals:

Redesign with consistent UI
Better content organization
Provide easier way to access translated contents
Improve navigation experience


To learn more about our users’ experience with the current site, we conducted user interviews and usability testing. Based on the feedbacks we collected, we were able to identify 3 major user behavior using this platform.

know what they are looking for, use the search bar to look for the contents.

know what type of content to look for. So they start navigating through pages to find them, often getting frustrated for getting lost in the navigation.

are not comfortable using the system for its confusing UI. They want contents to be delivered  directly to them.

User Stories

“When I go into Velocity, I care more about information design than pretty looking UI. As long as I can find contents as quickly as possible, the better.”

Many users struggled navigating through pages to find the right content. We needed to find the best way to make their discovery experience easy and seamless.


The design process consisted of card sorting, information architecture, task flows, and creating low-fi/high-fi wireframes.


Based on what we learned from multiple sessions of testing, I created the new layout of the homepage and the segment page by breaking each elements into modules, prioritise them and lay them out in order of importance.

This modular approach was implemented to make sure it addressed and solved the problems. I built out the working prototype, using HTML & CSS.

Feature 1: CTA Blocks

We had important announcements and messages we’d like to share with our users on weekly basis. Original design was a sliding banner. However, based on the feedbacks we received from testing, our users were not clicking the navigation buttons to toggle through different announcements. Thus I decided to create CTA blocks that housed multiple announcements at one glance.

Feature 2: What's New, What's Hot

Time was valuable for sales reps. Even though the search and improved navigation from homepage intended to save their time, they still wanted to directly access recently uploaded and popular contents. So I implemented the "what's new and what's hot" widget that automatically updated.

Feature 3: Announcement Ticker

Besides the items that were featured in the CTA blocks, which were limited with 5 items, the secondary announcements needed the users' attention. An announcement ticker was intended to serve that purpose without taking over too much estate on the page.

Feature 4: Tab Menus

The current website did not have tab menus to use in the default system. As a content-heavy website, the pages often got overwhelmed with long lists of contents, which forced users to continuously scroll down the pages to find what they were looking for. So, I created the tabs to organize the pages and contents more efficiently.

Feature 6: Cards Patterns

To allow users to digest information and complete actions quicker in a content heavy website, I designed and developed cards patterns that could be used used across the platform. As a visual container that holds multiple information in organized way, cards were implemented to be used differently based on the nature of the content.

Putting Everything Together

From homepage to other subpages, here is how our website revamped.

Take Away

There is never a perfect design! We had a lot of positive feedbacks from our users with the redesign. Users were satisfied with cleaner UI and improved navigational experience.

However, even the new design could not satisfy our users 100%. As they continued using the tool, they faced with new sets of problems. I learned how important it is to never get fully satisfied with the design decisions and the continue the effort of iteration, which should not be an option but a habitual routine.